Authors submitting a paper to First Monday automatically agree to confer a limited license to First Monday if and when the manuscript is accepted for publication. This license allows First Monday to publish a manuscript in a given issue.
Authors have a choice of:
- Dedicating the article to the public domain. This allows anyone to make any use of the article at any time, including commercial use. A good way to do this is to use the Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication Web form; see http://creativecommons.org/license/publicdomain-2?lang=en.
- Retaining some rights while allowing some use. For example, authors may decide to disallow commercial use without permission. Authors may also decide whether to allow users to make modifications (e.g. translations, adaptations) without permission. A good way to make these choices is to use a Creative Commons license.
- Go to http://creativecommons.org/license/.
- Choose and select a license. Choose "generic" if you are in the U.S. and "text" for First Monday articles.
- What to do next you can then email the license html code to yourself. Do this, and then forward that email to First Monday’s editors. Put your name in the subject line of the email with your name and article title in the email.
Background information about Creative Commons licenses can be found at http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/.
- Retaining full rights, including translation and reproduction rights. Authors may use the statement:
© Author 2005 All Rights Reserved.
Authors may choose to use their own wording to reserve copyright. If you choose to retain full copyright, please add your copyright statement to the end of the article.
Authors submitting a paper to First Monday do so in the understanding that Internet publishing is both an opportunity and challenge. In this environment, authors and publishers do not always have the means to protect against unauthorized copying or editing of copyrightprotected works.
Copyright © First Monday 19962005, First Monday is a copyrighted compilation, and all rights are reserved worldwide. Permissions to reprint or use full issues of First Monday should be directed to Edward Valauskas, Chief Editor, firstname.lastname@example.org. Permissions to reprint or use individual articles should be directed to the author(s) of the article, unless permission is granted via a Creative Commons or other license.
Copyright © 19962005, First Monday